- LLB (Hons.) – University of London, External Programmes
- Bar Professional Training Course – Northumbria University, UK.
Mr. Khan is a third generation lawyer with his grandfather being the founder of this firm. Prior to joining this law firm, he has worked with two of the country’s best litigation law firms and has worked directly with renowned and leading practitioners of the country. He has participated in some of the most famous writ petitions (judicial review) of the country which has been pivotal in brining changes to the laws of the Country. He also gained significant experience in international arbitration as he has represented foreign clients on high valued arbitration disputes. Arefin has also offered legal advisory services on the areas of company and related laws to foreign and local clients.
- Successfully represented Globe Pharmaceuticals Group of Companies Ltd (Globe) in World Bank (WB) Sanctions Proceedings wrongly accusing them of a sanctionable practice. The outcome of the proceedings was critical for Globe as a negative outcome would have meant debarment of Globe from not only all World Bank financed projects but also from projects financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB) and a number of other multilateral development banks (MDBs) pursuant to an Agreement for Mutual Enforcement of Debarment Decisions between these MDBs;
- Represented Germania Trest Consortium, a Belarusian state-owned mining company, against Maddhapara Granite Mining Company Limited (MGMCL), a subsidiary company of Petrobangla in Arbitration Applications in the High Court under sections 7 and 12 of the Arbitration Act 2001 for interim relief which was worth over US$170 million.
- Represented Travel Trade Ltd. In an Arbitration Application before the High Court Division for the appointment of arbitrator under section 12 of the Arbitration Act 2001.
- Successfully represented MGI Media AG, a swiss telecom operator against Bangladesh Telephone Company Limited (BTCL), a government owned telecom operator in Arbitration Applications in the High Court under sections 7 and 12 of the Arbitration Act 2001 for interim relief and appointment of arbitrator respectively. The underlying dispute involved a contractual dispute over call termination rate and disconnection of circuit resulting in losses amounting to millions of us dollars.
- Advised and provided legal opinions on issues of regulatory and compliance to multi-national companies and renowned organizations like Aman Group, BAT, Broad Burlup Industries Ltd, Concord, Diners Club, GBB, Britannia Group, etc;
- Advised Globe Pharmaceuticals Group of Companies Limited, on the establishment of a biotechnology company in Bangladesh (first of its kind) to own and operate a state of the art research and development facility for the development of biosimilar and novel drug in the facility. Furthermore, drafted and negotiated the terms of a research and development contract for the development of biosimilar and novel products in the facility, with elaborate clauses on non-competition, confidentiality and protection of intellectual property;
- Advised Visa Worldwide, leading international payments company, on the regulatory framework for mobile financial services in Bangladesh, cross border money transfer into Bangladesh and impact, if any, of the anti-money laundering rating of the sending country and sanctions, political or otherwise, against UAE or Saudi Arabia;
- Advised and conducted litigation on insurance laws, company law and competition law for Commerce Bank Securities and Investment Ltd (CBSIL), Prudential Securities Ltd etc.
- Advised and conducted due diligence of Palmy Shoes Limited, Evergreen Products factory and United Surgical Limited;
- Advised on licensing requirements, incorporation, and operation issues to Shahriyar Fabric Industries Ltd, Gildan Activewear Inc, Egyptian Fertilizer Trading Ltd, Foster Wheeler (Thailand) Limited etc.;
- Advising, conducted litigation and provided company secretarial services to Ayman Textile & Hosiery Limited, Asia Apparels Limited, Basic Shirts Limited Overseas Marketing Corporation Limited, etc. involving broad range of matters comprising company law, labour law, insolvency, mergers and acquisition, dispute resolution and constitutional law;
- Provided expert report and appeared as an expert witness in a guardianship matter before the Family Court, UK;
**Disclaimer: Some of the works have been carried out under the guidance of a senior lawyer and as part of the team.
Awards, Recognitions & Professional Memberships
- Member, Supreme Court Bar Association
- Member, Dhaka Bar Association
- Member, Barristers’ Association of Bangladesh
- Enlisted lawyer in U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh